Friday, October 31, 2008

Hashing in Guindy National Park (Sunday, 10/12)



Thursday was kind of a chill day with nothing of interest to write about. Friday I felt like I was starting to get sick so I slept most of the day to try and avoid it. Saturday I was feeling allot better but I thought I would take it easy just to play it safe. Sunday on the other hand…

There was going to be another hash this Sunday, so seeing as I missed the last one, I was pretty anxious to actually make it to this one. This one was also much easier to find since we were meeting just outside the snake park for the run. I was told to be there at 3:30, so I left the hotel at 2:45 trying to make sure I would have plenty of time. I catch a rickshaw out front and tell him I want to go to the Snake Park. On the way I realize that I forgot my running shoes. Oh well, screw it. I have run in Chacos before and I can do it again. I show up early and stand around for twenty minutes before I find anyone who looks like a hasher. Eventually everyone shows up and we are ready to run. They actually have the police unlock the gate to the park for us. VIP treatment apparently. The trail is pretty fun, there are lots of false trails, but after a while it becomes clear that anything that veers off the main road is a false trail. At this point my feet are starting to hurt from running in sandy chacos, the hares pre-laid the trail and it is getting a little boring, and I don’t have a beer in my hand, so I lose motivation and start walking. It actually turned out to be quite an enjoyable walk in the park and no one died from deadly snake bites, so over all a pleasurable experience.

After we are sure everyone made it to the end, we all head to the on after, aka the party. We sit around for a while eating fresh potato chips and drinking King Fisher (beer). Apparently they managed to get King Fisher to sponsor their hash, so they get free beer every weekend for the hash… lucky bastards. After sitting around for a while, it is time for the hash circle. I was a little surprised at how conservative the hashers here are… for hashers anyways. After the circle, they start playing music and everyone continues standing around talking. Some how the conversation turns to dancing styles, they find out I can breakdance, and they hound me until I agree to show them. Once again I end up throwing down some moves and everyone crowds around to watch. How does this always happen? After dancing to exhaustion, everyone wanted to talk to the breakdancing guy, and I was never without conversation for the rest of the evening. After a while they bring out dinner, which is of course catered by a local restaurant. The party continues until it starts to rain and the party comes to an end in the wee hours of the night… or as I find out when I look at my watch, 8pm. Over all a great party, a group of people, and allot of fun getting to hash in India.

No comments: