Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Wondering aimlessly and Indian healthcare (Tuesday, 9/30)



So I decided to explore the streets of Chennai by myself for the day. I walked out of the hospital and took a right. After walking for a few blocks, I decided one of the streets looked interesting, so I decided to take another right. After a few more blocks I decided to take a left… and then another left, then a right, another right, another left, and so on. Pretty soon I had no freaking clue where I was, but I was getting some great pictures. I decided to get a hair cut and a shave, so that set me back all of 40 Rupees ($0.85 USD). A few stops at roadside stands for some sweet-lime juice and some snacks kept me going for most of the day. I wound up walking all over the freaking city and probably covered 20Km by foot. At one point I wondered by a medical clinic so I decided to check out India’s healthcare first hand before heading back. Earlier in the year I landed a 35’ waterfall completely flat and my back has given me some occasional pain. I thought I would try getting my back checked out to see if I had compressed my spine or something. I went in, explained that I needed an X-ray, met with the doctor, and within five minutes of walking in the clinic, I was in the room getting some X-rays taken. Ten minutes after leaving the X-ray room, I was led back into the doctor’s office, she showed me the films, and I was on my way. Total time: 30 minutes. Total cost: 100 Rupees (or $2.13 USD). Healthcare that is worth a damn: Priceless! In the US it would have taken hours and cost hundreds of dollars. The electricity may be unreliable and the phone system might suck, but at least India cares about the healthcare its citizens receive. By the way, I think it’s a separated rib, so that’s a bit of a relief.

No comments: